Regardless of how often you use your chimney, annually assessing its structure and integrity is imperative.
This once a year inspection isn’t just our personal and professional recommendation. According to The National Fire Protection Association Standard 211, “Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs shall be done if necessary.”
Still, even with these best practices, thousands of people die in preventable fires and billions of dollars in home losses are sustained.
A professional chimney inspector is trained to help prevent these life and property losses by conducting a thorough review of your chimney.
Hiring a trained expert is essential because of the size and positioning of a home’s chimney can often hide certain issues. If left undetected, these hazards can cause tremendous damage that is very costly to correct.
Our technicians follow a strict 15-point checklist of inspection criteria that includes checking for:
- Chimney cap and crown defects
- Creosote or heavy soot
- Abandoned or hidden chimney thimble ports
- Damaged, blocked, or unsafe chimney flues
- Dead end flues
- Fireplace inserts for wood or coal installed into an existing masonry flue
- Missing chimney cleanout doors
- Movement in chimneys
- Orphaned gas-fired water heaters
- Rusted or damaged chimney or fireplace components
- Support defects
- Unlined chimney flues in single-brick wythe chimneys
- Un-sealed flue-vent connectors at chimney thimbles
- Unsafe fire clearances
Keeping our customers and their families safe is our #1 priority. That’s why all our chimney cleanings come with a full safety inspection. We will check the chimney cap, damper, lintel packing, mortar, brick, firebox, refractory panels, and flashing, then our trained technicians will give you a full breakdown on all existing and potential issues.
Contact us to book your chimney sweep with a full chimney inspection before winter has your fireplace working overtime!